[permaculture] Green investments

Vint Lawrence vlawrence at nets.com
Fri Jun 17 12:57:10 EDT 2005

Sean and others on the list:
You are correct that the Permaculture Credit Union (PCU) is helping to
form a Permaculture economy by supporting the financial needs of our
members who, by definition (the field of membership), are committed to
the ethics of Permaculture.

It is a self-regulating system in that we are only as "green" as our
membership and their needs.

However, the PCU is open to members from all 50 states (we even have
some International members) and we can make loans in virtually every
state, so I don't believe it is accurate to characterize our operations
as primarily benefiting the Southwestern US. The "community" we serve is
really the national Permaculture community.

Our current membership is approaching 800 members with almost $3million
in deposits and over $2 million out in loans. Probably because our
membership is based upon Earth-care ethics, we have a phenomenally low
default rate on our loans (less than a tenth of one percent in the past
5 years). What this means is that of the over $2.6 million we have
loaned out to individuals in the past four years, only one person has
failed to pay back their loan - and we are still working with them to
make that happen.

More information can be found at the web site www.pcuonline.org.
Membership and loan application forms can be downloaded directly from
the web site.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify the nature of the PCU

Vint Lawrence