[permaculture] Food space from a permaculture standpoint

treaclemine at intranet.org treaclemine at intranet.org
Thu Jul 21 10:03:29 EDT 2005

Greetings,

	The numbers which I've seen seem to take into the account
that any imported inputs are 'taking up land' too, and suggest that a
quarter of an acre per person should be sufficient for a strict
vegetarian (vegan) diet.

	Redefining Progress quote 0.8 hectares per ton for crop-based
diets and 2.1 hectares for animal-derived food (but I can't find
their source, and a 'ton' is an imperial measurement, so I'm not
sure if they actually mean (metric) tonne!)

http://www.rprogress.org/newprojects/ecolFoot/faq/#food2

	Through their Ecological Footprint Analysis, Redefining Progress
estimate that:

"When the total amount of ecologically productive land area included
in EFA is divided by the human population, there are about 4.5 acres
(1.89 hectares) available for each person."

http://www.redefiningprogress.org/footprint/

	Thanks,

	Amanda in the UK

treaclemine at intranet.org