[permaculture] Edible Daylily Varieties

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Sat Jul 16 22:46:42 EDT 2005

Keith Johnson wrote:

>I've tried a lot of daylilies and have yet to find one that is
>unpleasant tasting.
>Keith
>
>Ken Heronheart wrote:
>

>>Hello all,
>>
>>I'm in the process of adding more edibles to my 2 acre wooded lot and
>>was wondering if there are any varieties of daylily which are
>>considered better eating than others?

Ask in an oriental grocery store. You might be able to locate specific
varieties for cooking or raw in salads. The Chinese include
daylilly blooms as a staple in their diet. You can find them dried and
packaged, inexpensive. Other delights include garlic stems
with blooms for wok cookery. I've begun frequenting a local Korean
grocer. They offer Kim Chee by the gallon (w/o MSG) and
really great sliced dried mushrooms. Those who have  not discovered
oriental wok cookery really should try it. Meals eaten with
chopsticks always taste better.

Also try speciality seed catalogs. Johnny's probably has a variety for
eating.