[permaculture] Green Building Cost Comparisons

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Sat Jul 9 17:47:17 EDT 2005

Greg wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am doing some research for a department at Arizona State University
>and we are looking for...
>
>Any data, studies, comparisons on the cost difference between
>building a sustainable house and building a conventional build house.
>Does anybody know of anything?

If they are looking just for numbers, i.e. statistics, costs relative to
labor and materials availability in various parts of  the US,
that is one thing. Getting down to basics will reveal actual costs and
building quality when considering cosmetics/vanity vs.
longevity/energy efficiency.maintenance issues.
1) start with energy efficiency - use passive natural cooling and
heating methods first with active systems last
2) go off the grid and make do with less electric energy usage - go for
natural lighting and plan to be active for work and play
during the daytime - go to bed early and get up early
3) use masonry - heavyweight block walls interiou and exterior with AAC
insulation (autoclaved aerated concrete blck and panels
(prestressed/reinforced) - this is even available for roof insulation)
    use steel trusses and joists - metal roofing
4) concrete floor on top of AAC block on top of concrete monolithic
turned down clam on grade.
5) trim and floor with wood as desired

It would be great to go further with this discussion of EE architecture
aand passive heating and cooling.

More later aafter I get in from building a  pen for my 49 chickens.

LL