[permaculture] September Urban Farm Schedule - Tours, Classes and Other Cool Things

Greg FarmerGreg at UrbanFarm.org
Fri Aug 26 13:20:35 EDT 2005

Hey all,

It is not too late to get your mesquite beans picked.  There are
plenty of trees that I have noticed lately that are still full of
beans.  Get them picked, dried and stored for the milling on November
5.  Also prickly pears are ripe.  They make great marinades, jams and
lemonade.

Fall is approaching quickly and we are preparing the garden beds at
The Urban Farm for planting.  In the next two weeks we will be
planting directly in the ground:  root crops - carrots, beets and
parsnips; greens - chard, arugula and spinach; and brassicas -
cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.  You can also start inside from
seed tomatoes and peppers for transplanting in a few weeks.  When the
nighttime temps cool off in October most of the more delicate
lettuces and green can be planted.

***Greg's Gardening Secret.  Plant your snow peas in the next 30
days.  They are a longer season crop and won't produce much before it
cools off, they are very frost tolerant and will be well established
so that when it warms up in February they take off.  You will have
more snow peas than you know what to do with.

Now for our jam packed schedule.

Greg
Curator, The Urban Farm
602-565-7045

September 3 - First Saturday tour of Beth Hoffmann's Straw Bale House in Tempe.
September 10 - Organic Gardening class at the Calico Cow on Central
September 17 - Fruit Trees in the Desert at the Urban Farm taught by
Greg Peterson.
September 23 & 24 - Scottsdale Green Building Expo
September 27 - Roof Rat Informational Meeting
October 1 & 2 - The First Weekend of the Phoenix Permaculture Design Course
October 1 - Urban Farm Tour
November 5 - The First Annual Phoenix Mesquite Bean Milling

September 3 - The Urban Farm First Saturday Tour will be at Beth
Hoffmann's Straw Bale House in Tempe.

We are expanding our first Saturday tours to include other
interesting sustainability sites and events throughout the valley.
This months tour will be at Beth Hoffmann's 1200 square foot straw
bale house in Tempe.  Designed with passive solar power and a
Southern exposure the average monthly heating and cooling costs are
less than the price of a pair of movie tickets.