[permaculture] Lions and elephants on the Great Plains?

Ben Martin Horst benjamin_horst at myrealbox.com
Fri Aug 19 01:02:04 EDT 2005

In regard to "ecological holes:"

The late great evolutionary biologist Stephen J. Gould wrote extensively
on "punctuated equilibrium" in biological evolution. In a nutshell, the
concept is that the evolutionary process is generally rather slow.
Species tend to reach a sort of equilibrium with each other; once in
such a balanced state, species change only slowly, if at all. It is only
when something unusual happens that the evolutionary process really revs
up, before settling back down to equilibrium. The process is a bit like
the classical succesion model in a forest after a fire or logging:
sudden explosive growth occurs to start healing the land, and eventually
new trees grow and the system settles back into equilibrium again.
"Ecological holes" are to evolutionary history what a temporary clearing
is to an old-growth forest.

Example 1: Undersea volcanoes create a remote chain of islands where
open sea existed before. Over the course of a few centuries, the islands
are colonized by windblown or floating seeds and by only a few vagrant
pigeons and finches, and a few lizards and tortoises that managed to
survive the ocean crossing on a lump of driftwood. Once ashore, the
plants and animals find a variety of unused niches. They diversify
rapidly to fill those niches, and in a matter of a very short time
(geologically speaking) their descendents look and act very different
from their ancestors and each other. That's more-or-less what happened
on Pacific islands like the Hawaiian chain and the Galapagos. The few
species that colonized the islands diversified into a wide variety of
species unlike anything on the mainland. Darwin's finches all developed
different bills to feed on new, unused seeds, and iguanas started
swimming around in the ocean and eating seaweed.

Example 2: 65 million years ago, give or take, an asteroid or comet hit
what is now the Yucatan. Major ash plumes fanned out across the globe,
forest fires ignited on a massive, perhaps global, scale, and giant
tsunamis raced across the oceans and penetrated mile upon mile inland.
There's argument about whether the impact took out the dinosaurs all by
itself or not, but it seems pretty clear that it certainly did major
damage to ecosystems across the globe. In any case, most dinosaurs, all
pterodactyls and plesiosaurs, and a host of other reptiles and
amphibians, to say nothing of plants, all disappear from the fossil
record about this time. Ecologies that had remained fairly stable for
millions of years were virtually destroyed. Over the next few million
years, however, there was an explosive growth in new critters emerging.
The few dinosaur survivors filled many of the available aerial niches
that the pterosaurs had left (we call them birds today). Mammals, which
for millions of years had been little shrew-like beasties, saw an
explosion of speciation and diversification. Other plant and animal
orders experimented with similar wild and crazy diversification. The
same pattern holds true for all of the mass extinctions throughout
Earth's history: relatively stable ecosystems are devastated by
something (sudden buildup of toxic gases in the atmosphere, catastrophic
volcanism, and meteors are among the various causes), countless species
go extinct, and the remaining species start picking up the pieces with
wild and crazy abandon, developing and diverging into things
unimaginable before.

Today we're in the midst of a human-induced mass extinction, and we
probably haven't seen the worst of it yet. Whole ecosystems and
bioregions are tattered, shattered, or outright destroyed. In the long
run, we probably don't need to worry about the ecological survival of
the Earth: it has proved remarkably resilient and creative in the past,
and it will again. Gaia will play with new assemblages of species and
develop plenty of new ones to fill all the gaping holes we've left. The
problem for us is that even though the coming burst of ecological
creativity and speciation will be speedy in geological terms, it will be
unimaginably long in human terms: the hundreds of thousands of years at
the least, but more likely four or five million. A little late for Homo
sapiens.

As I understand it, that's where permaculture comes in. We use careful
observation of ecosystems and our access to many species, both native
and non, to begin filling enough of those holes to allow us to survive
while Gaia does her work at filling all the rest. If we're successful,
the coming millenia might just see not only countless plant and animal
species unforeseen to us today, but also a lot of new human species
filling a wide range of ecological niches.

PS. "Buffalo Commons" is a phrase that has been around since the
mid-70's, as I recall. It was originally a proposal that the US stop
subsidizing that intensive cattle-ranching across the Great Plains and
turn the majority of it into a national park. The basic rationale is
that maintaining "civilization" on the Great Plains is a net loss for
the US, at least economically, so it might as well be used for something
else, like restoring native ecosystems. A variation on the idea proposed
by a few Indigenous activists is to cede these Great Plains territories
to an autonomous Indigenous People's state, in exchange for their
relinquishment of Native land claims elsewhere (Paiutes from Nevada
could give up their claims there and receive inalienable sovereign
rights to lands in South Dakota, for example). A google search on the
phrase will probably come up with lots of hits. Note that when I use the
phrase it's not in support of either of these or any other specific
proposal, just an affirmation that it would be a darn good idea to start
reintroducing some bison and other decimated native species back to big
swaths of their former range.