[permaculture] Lions and elephants on the Great Plains?

Ben Martin Horst benjamin_horst at myrealbox.com
Thu Aug 18 18:48:42 EDT 2005

I wouldn't go so far as to call it TOTAL idiocy. The well-respected
Australian biologist Tim Flannery, for example, makes a pretty good case
in his book "Eternal Frontier" that the extinction of most North
American megafauna about 10,000 years ago left major holes in many
ecosystems that still haven't been filled. He claims that Arctic
environments were once much lusher, more closely resembling prairie than
what we think of today as tundra, due primarily to grazing by mammoths.
Mastodons opened gaps in the canopies of Southeastern and Southern
forests, allowing successionary species to move in, and letting a few
young trees to sprout here and there among all the ancient giants. In
general, North America was a friendlier place for humans to live 10,000
years ago than it is today, due primarily to the presence of all the
long-gone megafauna (of course, lions, saber-toothed cats, dire wolves,
short-faced bears and a host of other large predators would have made
living here more of a risky venture, too).

If one takes Flannery seriously, it seems there might be some reason at
least to try introducing a few species analogous to extinct North
American megafauna under highly controlled conditions in order to see
what happens. Flannery suggests as much near the end of his book. Such a
venture might even be worthy of the support or efforts of some
permaculturalists -- after all, many of us are heavily involved with
such non-native species as cattle and sheep (not to mention all the
various flora) ... ranching camels or something might have validity
under certain circumstances as well.

But I also believe that Lawrence is entirely right that there are a lot
of other, more recent ecological "holes" that we need to fill before
moving on to something as bizarre and risky as introducing African
megafauna into North America. As he notes, reintroduction of bison and
restoration of family, small-scale, local, and organic farming top the list.

Buffalo Commons first; playing with elephants can and should wait.