[permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 31, Issue 10

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Tue Aug 16 13:09:44 EDT 2005

> Re: [permaculture] Len's PERMACULTURE ESSAY-
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gardenlen1/
> From:
> <darren at permaculture.biz>
> Date:
> Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:14:36 +0700
> To:
> "'permaculture'" <permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> To:
> "'permaculture'" <permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org>
>

>G'day to you all,
>
>I trust that this greets you and all well.
>
>Just to add to the inevitable dissemination of Len's PC essay with specific
>reference to the point:
>
>"...Permaculture IS NOT a career path...."
>
>Well sorry since reading this I have been wondering what I have been doing
>with my life for the last 15 years and what I am going to do with the rest
>of it...Does this mean I should give up the dream job and go back to being a
>farmer and chef?
>

>Cheers,
>
>Yours and Growing,
>
>Darren J. Doherty

I have to second that emotion, 20 years of pc as a profession down the
tubes, since I didn't realize that it wasn't a profession - oh well!
Old dog, needs new tricks I guess.

Scott Pittman
Permaculture Institute
Environmental Design Concepts, Inc.
Core Faculty - EcoVersity

> Re: [permaculture] Len's PERMACULTURE ESSAY -
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gardenlen1/
> From:
> Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor at yahoo.com.au>
> Date:
> Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:47:55 +1000 (EST)
> To:
> permaculture <permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> To:
> permaculture <permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org>
>

>hi
>fine, but what are the facts, if there is no problem with concret and steel, what are the greenies going on about, regarding habitat construction. somebody recently came up with eco concrete, what is dif between normal concrete and eco concrete
>martin
>"Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl at intrex.net> wrote:
>Martin Naylor wrote:

Both concrete and steel have some of the highest invested energy of any
construction material, why not use traditional materials that are found
locally?
In my area, New Mexico, it has been adobe brick with stone foundations,
in other areas it is wattle and daub, so, depending on what is available
one constructs their shelter.  If building codes and restrictions force
one to use steel and concrete then find ways to minimize there use ie
rubble filled foundations, or grade beams with load bearing piers.

Providing the modern materials for construction of homes, office and
other structures is a primary source of greenhouse effect.

Scott Pittman