[permaculture] Fodder trees or invasive weeds?

Lisa MacIver lisamaciver8 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 17:51:38 EDT 2004

A couple of years ago I got some tagasaste and autumn olive seeds,
which I'm just now getting around to germinating.  However, I am
a little worried about introducing invasive species.  I've also got
a couple of pawlonias, which some accuse also of invasiveness.

I know the invasive potential depends on local climate, and of course
our goats will be happy to do their best to prevent spread.  And
I doubt tagasaste will survive our wet clay, in any case. But I'd hate
to be the one to introduce the local equivalent of kudzu, which I've
heard also makes great goat fodder...

We also have honey locust; what's the last work, is it nitrogen fixing
or not?  I find mixed information on the web.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon