[permaculture] Local economies

Katherine Steele kat at steelemoon.com
Thu Apr 15 14:54:49 EDT 2004

Promoting the idea and benefits of local economies and using them
ourselves is one way of starting.
The Business Alliance for Local Living Economies (BALLE) is a great
organization of peers promoting small local sustainable business. Their
mission is to  create, strengthen and connect local business networks
dedicated to building strong Local Living Economies.
They promote Challenging county and city policies that hinder local
living economies - including the tax breaks given to lure non-local
companies, the land use policies that make it less expensive to locate
outside of town, and the use of local business taxes to subsidize their
multi-national competitors.
http://www.newrules.org/

They list other strategies for building Local Living Economies
http://www.ballenetwork.org/balle/viewPage.cfm?pageId=457 and they're
having their first national conference soon, May 29-31, First BALLE
National Conference, Portland, OR.

I also noticed that Portland's Earth Day Celebration promotes the idea
by focusing on Localization with a "Plant Yourself & Grow Together"
theme.  http://www.cityrepair.org/earthday/index.htm

Go Local!
~Kat
http://www.urbanpermacultureguild.org