[permaculture] beef consumption

Loren Davidson listmail at lorendavidson.com
Thu Apr 15 02:55:24 EDT 2004

At 11:39 PM 4/14/04 -0700, Toby Hemenway wrote:

> > For every pound of red meat, poultry, eggs, and milk produced, farm fields
> > lose about five pounds of irreplaceable top soil. The water necessary for
> > meat breeding comes to about 190 gallons per animal per day, or ten times
> > what a normal Indian family is supposed to use in one day, if it gets water
> > at all.
>
>Again, similar figures are true for vegetables from industrial ag.
>California cotton uses the most water per pound of any type of ag in that
>state; more than beef.

Not to mention the quantity of pesticides used per acre is *way* higher for
cotton than for any food crop, because they *can*.

Not to mention habitat loss to produce food crops, killing gophers, etc.
Growing vegetables really doesn't save animal lives at all.

I'm sure there's something I'm missing, but it's almost midnight my time
and I can't think of it. And I'm not entirely sure I wanted to get into yet
another vegetarian vs. carnivore/omnivore argument anyway.

Loren

Loren Davidson        Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
NEW EMAIL: listmail at lorendavidson.com   http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
I'm a musician too!  http://www.lorendavidson.com
"In gentleness there is great strength." - Sun Bear