[permaculture] Killer Coke

Loren Davidson listmail at lorendavidson.com
Wed Apr 14 18:34:59 EDT 2004

At 03:14 PM 4/14/04 -0700, Toby Hemenway wrote:
>Bob wrote:
>
> > Greetings, first you assess the site then you create the plan. This
> > "campaign" is very much in line with Permaculture design, think about
> > community economics and right livelihood, . . .
>
>I think most everyone on this list is aware of the social injustices,
>environmental problems, etc. that the world faces. More examples of the
>familiar problems facing us won't make us better designers. There are
>thousands of calls to action and lists of evil deeds that are tangentially
>related to Pc, and if we all started sending them in, they would swamp this
>list. I would rather not open the door to them here. Now, if someone wants
>to use a quote from that sort of post as a jumping-off point for a novel Pc
>solution, I'd be delighted to see it.

Thank you, Toby, for articulating my thoughts better than I could.

While I believe that we shouldn't stick our heads in our compost piles and
pretend that the problems of the world don't exist...to me, Pc has always
been more about the solution than the problem. And I get the most out of
this list when it is focusing on solutions, not hitting me over the head
with some injustice happening five thousand miles away that I can't *begin*
to do anything meaningful about. For example, I dearly love the diary
articles that Bob Waldrop posts about his suburban gardening project - they
inspire me to look at ways to do a little more with the heavily-shaded
strip of clay that my landlord lets me grow vegies on, find ways to improve
the soil and somehow involve other people in the building with the garden
or with activities that can improve the quality of our lives here.

Pc is also about appropriate scale and about leveraging our actions. I can
accomplish a lot more by growing herbs for our apartment building and
helping educate people about how to separate stuff for recycling than I can
by writing a letter to some executive in Bolivia.

I also agree with Toby's point regarding mass forwarding of emails. I
believe there should be a special place in Hell reserved for anyone using
the phrase "please forward this to everyone you know." It's virtual
pollution, IMNSHO. It clogs people's mail queues, sometimes to the point of
bouncing important messages, and it is a drain on the time and resources
that each of us could be devoting to creating Pc-based solutions to the
problems in our own towns and neighborhoods. Which, as I said, is
ultimately where we can do the most good, I feel.

Finally, I think Pc is about protracted observation, rather than knee-jerk
action. What could be more un-PC than mindlessly forwarding emails to a
bunch of mailing lists without stopping once to think if they're
*appropriate*? It's like throwing out seeds without regard as to whether
they land in dirt, water, or on a sidewalk.

Here's a thought: The next time someone gets email bemoaning the injustice
of slaughtering low-income factory workers in Elbonia for their pelts,
rather than just forwarding it on, take some time to *think* about it. What
type of design strategies might make it unnecessary to commit the outrage?
Are there any practical ways in which we can work within our personal Zones
0-4 that could make a *practical* difference, that would be a *better use
of our time* than working locally on issues we know intimately? If the
answer is yes, then by all means post a synopsis of the problem and an
initial design solution to the list, and we can all have a virtual charette
with it.

Otherwise, as Toby suggested, save it for advocacy lists and give our poor
mail queues and delete fingers a rest.

Thanks for listening,

Loren

Loren Davidson        Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
NEW EMAIL: listmail at lorendavidson.com   http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
I'm a musician too!  http://www.lorendavidson.com
"In gentleness there is great strength." - Sun Bear