[permaculture] Durable alternative to asphalt?

Harold Waldock hwaldock at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 5 13:07:08 EDT 2004

I know of two opportunities:
1) There is a porous asphalt much used in Mexico that allows water to
perculate through it.  I'm not sure it is
2) Grass Crete: Like breeze blocks but laid on the side. The grass grows
through it and it does not suffer from frost.  It can be made to sit flat
and is used for fire truck access in multi family dewelling complexes. Lance
Thompson at enviroscape at telus.net showed a picture of it to me at a workshop
recently.

He also showed examples of parking lot/swale combo at schools and
institutions here in wet, occasionally snowy Vancouver BC Canada.

At my local community swimming pool, they put the ground source heat pump
pipes in the soil beneith the parking lot - If you can't avoid it make much
use of it. Other dual uses that come to mind are tennis courts, roller
hockey, volley ball and basket ball.

Harold Waldock