[permaculture] Bahamas Permaculture Project Manager Needed

David Orgain vermontgardens at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 12:07:11 EST 2004

JOB OPPORTUNITY

Permaculture Project Manager

The Cape Eleuthera Island School, Eleuthera, BAHAMAS

The Island School is a semester abroad program for high-school students focused on  place-based education. Our organization is currently experimenting with alternative models for living in this sub-tropical climate.  On-site examples include the largest renewable energy system in The Bahamas (hybrid wind-solar), constructed wetlands for black water processing, solar hot water production, bio-fuels research, and applying principles of permaculture design to our challenging site.

The Permaculture Project Manager will oversee the further expansion of our food systems, will continue our overall site design, will continue building relationships with local farmers, and will direct a student research project in permaculture. A strong science background is a requirement for the position. Responsibilities will also include the management and expansion of our tropical plant nursery, seeding and harvest scheduling of our vegetables, personnel management, tropical fruit orchard management and expansion, and plant and technical research.

The ideal candidate will have experience in tropical agriculture, vegetable farming, permaculture systems, and will have a permaculture design certificate. Advanced plant propagation skills, including grafting, are also great asset for the position. Seed saving and collection is an important part of our project. Experience in site design using permaculture design principles is also requested. Organization skills are a must, as there are extensive systems requiring management.

Futher commitments involve work in developing and coordinating outreach programs and internship programs, as well as maintaining and expanding relationships with the Bahamian government and local agricultural extension agents.

Initially, the position will require a three-month commitment.  During this time the Permaculture Project Manager will work under the two existing Permaculture Project Managers who will be replaced at the end of the transition period.  It is anticipated that a successful candidate will be offered a one-year contract following the initial three month commitment.

The compensation for the position is $3000USD, room and board, and a $500USD travel stipend.

Applications should include letter of intent for the position and a professional resume. Please send documents to David Orgain at davidorgain at islandschool.org or call 242-359-7625.