[permaculture] Looking for arracacha, maca & melloco sources

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Fri Mar 28 14:30:10 EST 2003

Just to be clear. Seeds of Change sells a crown division. (Yacon has
both edible tubers and a central crown which can be divided to create a
half dozen or so plants the following year depending on how developed
it gets) They ship them sprouted in a 4 inch pot. You cannot propagate
from the tubers, only the crown as far as I know.  I had 4-5 foot
plants last year in Maine that had close to 15 lbs of tubers each and
crowns with 4-8 eyes. (See photo in SoC catalog) I started them inside
in early April. The first frost wiped them out in late September but
the Tubers stored nicely in the ground for 4-8 weeks under heavy mulch.
They're one of our favorite fall foods and store well into winter,
growing slightly wrinkled but decidedly sweeter.

Happy Spring to all,

Scott Vlaun
editor at seedsofchange.com