[permaculture] Creosote

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Fri Mar 28 04:07:43 EST 2003

Michael Murphy wrote:
> How old are the ties?  I think the stuff leaches out over a long period of time....

Creosote is a by product of the turpentine industry, pine tar creosote;
apparently has medicinal uses: used to see cans of it in the drug store.

Coal tar creosote is different, is carcinogenic and probably has herbicidal qualities.

Still creosote and creosote-treated RR Xties are nowhere near as dangerous as CCA pressure treated lumber.

I was once a landscape contractor and built many patios, steps and planters, often with green RR Xties from the sawmill
and painted them with creosote. Kinda strong smelling stuff :-) It was the termite treatment of choice for house and building underpinnings
for many years.

Its a lot safer than CCA lumber.

If BK's ties are old and not smelly they are probably safe for raised bed construction, though I would paint the inside surfaces
or line them with some other wood, plastic, etc.

-
L.F.London
lfl at intrex.net
http://market-farming.com