Fwd: [permaculture] Are we a weed?

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Thu Mar 27 11:29:18 EST 2003

Toby--

Looks like your book has the definitive take on the subject.

Bob--

Australian weeds haven't been exported into Europe? They're lucky then. Check
out San Francisco's all-consuming hatred of the demon-from-hell eucalyptus
species. They regret ever having brought in these aromatic pests, which have
displaced a large number of now-endangered endemic flora. I don't know where
Scotch broom came from, but it's another invasive to central California that
has crowded out what used to be a very interesting set of temperate-zone
beach flora.

One thing that would have disrupted the ecosystem is that the California
natives used to be simple hunter-gatherers, fortunate to live somewhere the
livin' was easy. They would have selected for the plants they liked to eat
just by spreading the seeds and encouraging stands of food plants. This stage
was probably an early precursor to agriculture, where people would stop to
plant a peach pit when they were through with the peach.

We don't do that. If we have a use for a piece of land we just bulldoze
whatever was on it and replant it in grapes for instance-- a lot of
California has gone into the grape because wine makes millionaires out of
small plot holders in the Napa.

Mike Elvin