[permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 35

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Thu Mar 27 10:34:51 EST 2003

I don't have pits but I make my compost in two bale high strawbale
enclosures lined with plastic.  I use the straw and manure from my chicken
house to fire things off and add kitchen scraps, and weeds from time to
time. I still have to water my compost regularly, and use lots of worms.

I did see the "moldering" system of composting in Siberia.  They would dig
a three foot hole a couple of feet wide and as long as practical and fill
it all summer with weeds, garden trimmings, animal manure, kitchen scraps,
and anything else that was organic.  In the fall after harvested plants
were put in the pit it was covered with two feet of soil and left for the
winter.  Two years later this was used to fertilize the spring beds.

Scott