[permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 35

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Thu Mar 27 10:21:39 EST 2003

I wonder Toby if some of this lopsidedness has to do with immigration
policy?  I would think that immigrants to the New World versus immigrants
to Europe would almost match the plant immigrants.  Since most immigrants
were looking for a better life, or a life free from tyranny I would suspect
there were a lot of rural people coming to the U.S. and Canada with cuffs,
pockets, woolens, etc. stuffed with seed and bugs.

I am always amazed to think of the presence of mind of the African slave
when he/she grabbed seed for the new world.  I realize some of the seed was
brought in the form of slave food by the slavers, but a lot of the African
plants in the deep south were brought by the slaves themselves, at least
that is what my great grandpa from Georgia told me.

Scott