[permaculture] Re: Branches and small diameter wood

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Wed Mar 26 13:17:36 EST 2003

I am fortunate to have a landfill that will chip my trimmings and reload it
in my truck gratis.  I use these chips for walkways in the garden and to
mulch fruit trees.  I am concerned about bringing home disease or bugs from
someone elses' garden, but, knock on wood, hasn't happened yet.  It takes a
few years for this to break down further even tho it is in the wet zone of
our kitchen garden, worms seem to prefer it under the walkways of chipped
wood to the straw mulch of the planting beds.  The soil under the walkways
is richer than the beds after three years, but we are not mining the
nutrients of this zone with plants. Perhaps I should rotate the beds and
walkways.

Small diameter wood is perfect for the Russian Stove, and allows the small
homesteader to become self sufficient in fuel wood.  To revisit an old
topic on this list Jean Paine developed a system of creating wood alcohol
from his wood chips as well as heating his house with the heat generated
from composting his chipped branches.  His book is wonderful but a little
too large scale for the small landholder.

I also clean up the small branches and store them for use as tomato
baskets, trellises, and to make shade structures (ramadas - rama being
branch in Spanish) for greens and peas.  They can also be used to create
bundles that work as surface swales when laid on contour, not as efficient
as earth swales but in a broad steep landscape work well.  They also create
wonderful habitat for ground birds when piled up, a few thorny branches of
Russian Olive, Rose, or raspberry on the perimeter help fight off coon,
skunk, and coyote who love bird eggs.

Scott