[permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 33

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Wed Mar 26 12:54:25 EST 2003

As a New Mexican at high dry and windy, I'd have to quibble with the word
"wet" when referring to above or below ground, damp - maybe.
I have had the same experience here with woody plants, they may break down
"someday" but I have over an acre of branches covered in light soil that
are in a petrified state after seven years.  I have trouble composting
forbs, for crying out loud, unless I keep the hose nearby.  My compost is
also always threatening to petrify rather than compost - more water,
covers, and less turning.  I think the problem here is the lack of
composting mycorrhiza, which is compounded by the lack of humus and humidity.

I have wondered these past few drought like years, if the term "drought
tolerant" might have to do with the root colonizing mycorrhize holding
moisture for use by the plant.  I know this phenomena of water storage in
the mycelium has been documented and that this water is made available to
adjacent plants, but I don't know if a specific study has been done on
drought tolerant/resistant plants.  It would make sense.

My strategy this year is to inoculate my trees, garden and compost with a
wide variety of mycorrhize and see how they fare versus the untreated trees.

Scott