[permaculture] Mulch Producers.

Rick Valley bamboogrove at cmug.com
Tue Mar 25 19:54:35 EST 2003

Regarding piling woody trimmings and harvesting humus later, I think it's
worth pointing out that this works where it's wet and not where it's dry. I
am not familiar with the climate in El Dorado county California. It doesn't
work in New Mexico; I've tried it!

It's wet in New Mexico- just not above ground. Dryland composting systems
often use pits, no? Also note, I recommended weighting the brush down with
wood and turfs, to compact it, and growing plants on top to shade it, as
well as cutting it more than just enough to haul it away. I didn't go into
that in depth; it really does help to limb pieces enough to allow them to
lie reasonably flat on the ground. Building hugelkultur beds and composting
large amounts of branches is good practice for that. After awhile you get
quite good at reducing branches efficiently. If I remember right El Dorado
is in the gold rush country? Dry summers for sure, but not classic dryland.

-Rick