[permaculture] Mulch Producers.

Paul A Cross charybda at newmex.com
Tue Mar 25 13:43:03 EST 2003

Regarding Loren's question regarding tagaste, if your plant can handle it, you can expose some of the roots and just look at them. If they have big nodules on them, that's where the nitrogen fixing is happening.

Regarding piling woody trimmings and harvesting humus later, I think it's worth pointing out that this works where it's wet and not where it's dry. I am not familiar with the climate in El Dorado county California. It doesn't work in New Mexico; I've tried it!

Re: growing mulch:

How about a mowable living mulch, so you are getting twice the benefit? Say, an orchard or berry patch with low-growing clover, where you can mow the clover on occasion and spread the clippings. Might cause a problem with weed seeds if your timing's off.

How about making a little alfalfa (lucerne) patch and scything it a few times a year? Great for mulch and the compost pile.