[permaculture] How to deal with Chiggers?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Sat Mar 22 04:34:04 EST 2003

darko nikolic wrote:
> Hello,
> My approach to insect managment is an intergrated one
> but I've never dealt with Chiggers in the humid
> tropics. Has anyone a sustainable solution to these
> biting mites.
> Thanks in advance,
> Darko

Don't sit down in the woods. Try it and you'll find out why
(and you thought crabs were bad :-).

Dust yourself, tender areas, with sublimed sulphur or flowers of sulphur.
If they dig in apply tea tree oil, lemon oil and other ingredients found in
Burt's Bees insect repellent. TTO (neem oil) offers great relief.

Pine forests here in NC have plenty of chiggers and they are found in weedy fields
where you will also find dog and deer ticks.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl at intrex.net