[permaculture] Creating A Life Together

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 19 22:12:15 EST 2003

  Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow an Intentional
Community
(http://www.permacultureactivist.net/LifeTogether/CreatingaLifeTogether.html),
by Diana Leafe Christian, editor of Communities Magazine, foreword by
Patch Adams. 2003 New Society Publishers, 272 pp. $23 (available from
Permaculture Activist, May 2003). "Creating a Life Together is an
overview of the process of forming new ecovillages and intentional
communities, gleaned from founders of dozens of successful communities
in North America formed since the early '90s. This is what they did, and
what you can do, to create your community dream. It attempts to distill
their hard experience into solid advice on getting started as a group,
creating vision documents, decision-making and governance, agreements
and policies, buying and financing land, communication and process, and
selecting people to join you. It's what works, what doesn't work, and
how not to reinvent the wheel. This information is not only for people
forming new communities - whether or not you already own your land. It
can also be valuable for those of you thinking about joining community
one day - since you, too, will need to know what works. And it's also
for those of you already living in community, since you can only benefit
from knowing what others have done in similar circumstances. "

"A great deal of research and trial-and-error has been assembled here,
and every potential ecovillager should read it. This book will be an
essential guide and manual for the many Permaculture graduates who live
in communities or design for them." --Bill Mollison

"Creating a new culture of living peacefully with each other and the
planet is our number one need--and this is the right book at the right
time. Creating a Life Together will be instrumental in the ecovillage
courses I teach. I can't wait to tell people about it." --Hildur
Jackson, cofounder, Global Ecovillage Network (GEN); co-editor,
Ecovillage Living: Restoring the Earth and Her People.

"A really valuable resource for anyone thinking about intentional
community. I wish I had it years ago." -- Starhawk, author of Webs of
Power, The Spiral Dance, and The Fifth Sacred Thing -- and committed
communitarian.