Fwd: [permaculture] RE: Major histocompatibility complex (MHC)

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Wed Mar 19 10:11:46 EST 2003

Toby--

Many thanks for your post, footnoted below. I hope we can return to the main
thread of a subject I find fascinating-- "weed" behavior.

True, it is really the human race as a whole that is noted for its rapid
spread and colonizing behavior that can instantly take over every ecological
niche. This trait has gathered momentum in recent generations with advances
in our technology and with the rapid and unsustainable increase in our
population.

When I was young the world was a fairly comfortable place of "only" 3-4
billion. Less than five years ago we passed the six billion mark and we are
already at six and a quarter billion. Clearly this uncontrolled proliferation
is weedlike behavior in the extreme, and has grave consequences for the
planet. I assume that everyone in this listserv came to permaculture with the
feeling that the permaculture approach was the one best suited to enable us
to coexist with the planet that nurtures us. Without it, what happened a few
thousand years ago in places like the Middle East can happen to the whole
planet. Eaten bare and not replenished, it will turn into bare hard-packed
dirt. Soil nutrients, considered "waste" matter, will go out to sea with the
bathwater, so to speak. Artificial chemicals will be called upon to do
everything previously done by natural processes before they were disrupted,
and while the fertilizer and herbicide manufacturers will become richer, the
planet will become poorer.

This trend is being counteracted by a minority of interested researchers.
Here in North Carolina, for instance, we are seeking beneficial ways to
utilize confined animal feedlot wastes, which in their unrefined form mostly
burn the soil and contaminate our freshwaters. There is some progress,  but
convincing people who have no innate respect for the planet is very slow
going-- and these are the people who've always determined how farming is to
be conducted. Old ways are hard to change, but it's getting harder now for
people to make a living from the land the way they used to.

So I am very encouraged that people like NCSU and Smithfield Foods are even
talking to each other. For the first time ever Smithfield (that's hogs) is
sponsoring joint research instead of resisting any attempt to change old
practises by calling us a bunch of leftist college kids who never got their
hands dirty.

Perhaps, since it is now a given that we will occupy and stress every mile of
the earth's surface with misuse and overuse, we can at least educate the
billions who come after us that they need to clean up their mess, and not
take the planet's healing abilities for granted.

Anyhow, just to return the thread to the "weedy behavior" analogy, it's not
merely mankind, or humanity that has stressed the planet. Eighty years ago
there were between 6,000 and 7,000 separate "primitive" languages spoken on
earth, each representing a culture that had maintained some integrity and
independence from modern life. Each lived in some close degree of harmony
with its environment. Very few were expansionary-- cultures like the Zulu in
18th and 19th century Africa were "breakout" cultures undergoing a
modernization based on militarism. Most of the peoples who never made the
news were just growing their crops and dying exactly as fast as they
propagated. Without zero population growth, they knew they'd just end up
hungry and at war with their neighbors.

All this behavior has been displaced in our time by Western Civilization,
which expands into every niche, offering these people the hope of getting
entry-level jobs and becoming newly aspiring Americans.

I'm not saying that's bad. You can't just keep them in a kind of zoo, pure
from outside influence. But it is changing everything on the planet, as they
all prepare to save up enough money to buy their own cars and computers-- the
billion point three Chinese for example. There's not enough raw stuff left on
the planet to satisfy the demands all these people will be making on
technology. So it's a problem worth paying attention to, and it's weedy
behavior.

My apologies again for using that ill-considered phrase "the white man" when
I meant Western Civ. I tend to be a bit crude and even when making formal
presentations, don't always remember to refer to hog shit as "animal
detritus".

I read last week in the Sunday Travel Section where there are eco-field trip
vacations now to the Apa Tani Valley in Himachal Pradesh, which used to be
the back of beyond--  nearly the most inaccessible culture left on the
planet. For years the Indian government used to refuse to issue travel
permits, to protect these people from outside influence (and protect tourists
from them). Forty years ago they used to capture slaves, either selling them
back to their relatives or working them in the fields. Now they wear
hip-hugger jeans instead of nose plugs, watch MTV and all the kids have cell
phones.

Times are changing, and we need to find better ways of utilizing what the
demographers tell us will be our childrens' eleven-billionth piece of the
planet.

Mike Elvin
Fuquay-Varina, NC