[permaculture]

Claude Genest genest at together.net
Tue Mar 11 08:43:18 EST 2003

Anne,
I don't know what MHC types means, but in regards to the so-called
homgeneity of the immune systems, I would highly reccomend you read
"Guns, Germs and Steel" _ the authors name escapes me at present (
Jarred ?).
In any event, the hypothesis is that what gave Whitey a genetic
advantage over others with regards to immunity to disease, is that the
Europeeans had co-evolved in very close proximity to their domestic
animals like pigs and cows, animals not indigenouus in the Americas. As
a result, they had evolved immunities to the diseases caught from those
animals, while the "Americans" had not.

Claude
On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 11:28 PM, Anne Schwarz wrote:

> Hello~
> I am an art student at the Rhode Island School of Design.  Right now I
> am working on a piece that is based on information I found in an
> article in the Atlantic Monthly's March 2002 issue about America
> before Columbus.  The article covered many of the permaculture
> practices that the Amerindians used, particularly in the Amazon.  It
> also covered the many epidemics that wiped out their population.  I am
> particularly interested in a statement about the South American
> population's immune system being different in that it was unusually
> homogonous compared to other cultures.
>
> If anybody knows more about this or anything to do with MHC types, I
> would be greatly interested in knowing more.  I am trying to create a
> diagram(s) relating the homogenous MHC types in Amerindians and how it
> relates to the Europeans they were encountering, as well as relating
> it to the cultural differences between the two worlds.
>
> I know this is tangental to the permaculture list, but any information
> or help people could give me would be most appreciated!
>
> Thanks so very much,
> Anne Schwarz

Best Regards,
Claude William Genest

www.greenmountainpermaculture.com
Green Mountain Permaculture: Solutions, Sustenance, Sustainability

"What Permaculturalists are doing is the most important work being done
on the planet."
David Suzuki

"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a
comfortable living from a small piece of land."
Abraham Lincoln

"Clever men solve problems, wise men avoid them."
  Albert Einstein

Listen up !  http://www.democracynow.org/