[permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 9

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Mon Mar 10 23:49:28 EST 2003

I would check with Permacultura America Latina (PAL) at
<carlosmiller at buriti.com.br>.  They have been doing work in the tropics for
many years
and in the equatorial wet tropics at that.  I believe that they have found
that compost, green manure, and mulch to be the answer.  Their project in
Manaus is on an abandoned field of the local agricultural college and when
it was given to them it wouldn't grow ants, they initially thought it was a
joke.  The joke turned out to be on the college as the PAL site is the most
productive site of all the college projects and attracts more interest.

They produce a lot of compost and, a by product, worms.  I would also
contact Ronaldo Leck in Guatamala <IMAP at intelnet.net.gt> Instituto Meso
America Permacultura, or Juan Rojas <permacultura at terra.com.sv> in El
Salvador.  Both of these men have extensive knowledge of traditional
agricultural methods in Central America.

Good Luck,
Scott Pittman