[permaculture] Re: phytoremediation

Claude Genest genest at together.net
Tue Jan 28 15:49:10 EST 2003

Thank you so very much Mr. Diver :-)

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 03:50 PM, Steve Diver wrote:

> Last year I posted a couple of items on phytoremediation
> to the Permaculture list.
>
> Then I had a research question come to ATTRA
> on phytoremediation, so I put together the resources
> below.
>
> Warm regards,
> Steve Diver

> Resources on Phytoremediation
> May 2002
> By Steve Diver, ATTRA
>
> Here are two definitions of phytoremediation:
>
> Phytoremediation is broadly known as a set of technologies that
> clean contaminated sites using plants.  Plants may remediate
> manmade contaminants through several mechanisms.  Some plants
> destroy organic pollutants by degrading them directly.  Some plants
> aid in degradation indirectly by supporting microbial communities.
> Other plants take up inorganic contaminants from soil or water and
> concentrate them in the plant tissue or root (1).
>
> Phytoremediation is the direct use of living green plants for
> in situ, or in place, risk reduction for contaminated soil,
> sludges, sediments, and ground water.  This is accomplished
> through contaminant removal, degradation, or containment.
> Growing and, in some cases, harvesting plants on a
> contaminated site as a remediation method is an aesthetically
> pleasing, solar-energy driven, passive technique that can
> be used to clean up sites with shallow, low to moderate
> levels of contamination. This technique can be used along
> with or, in some cases, in place of mechanical cleanup
> methods.  Phytoremediation (phyto- means plant) is
> a general term for several ways in which plants are used
> to clean up, or remediate, sites by removing pollutants
> from soil and water. Plants can break down, or degrade,
> organic pollutants or contain and stabilize metal
> contaminants by acting as filters or traps (2).
>
> A simple application of phytoremediation includes riparian
> buffer strips and constructed wetlands.  More complex
> applications include zinc and lead removal on mine spoil
> sites by phytoaccumulation.
>
> Indexed below are some web-based resources on
> phytoremediation from U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
> and the Missouri Botanical Garden.  These include introductory
> fact sheets, technology handbooks, and resource guides.

> 1.
> RCB Introduction to Phytoremediation
> EPA Remediation and Containment Branch
> http://www.epa.gov/ordntrnt/ORD/NRMRL/rcb/introphy.htm
> Content:  An introductory web page; a chapter from The Standard
> Handbook Waste Treatment and Disposal, Second Edition, McGraw
> Hill, 1997.
>
> 2.
> A Citizen's Guide to Phytoremediation, August 1998,
> EPA 542-F-98-011
> http://www.epa.gov/swertio1/download/remed/phyto2.pdf
> Content: 6-page PDF, an educational fact sheet with pointers
> to other phytoremediation resources.
>

> Index to Web-Based Phytoremediation Resources
>
> A Citizen's Guide to Phytoremediation, August 1998,
> [...]

Best Regards,
Claude William Genest

Green Mountain Permaculture: Solutions, Sustenance, Sustainability

"What Permaculturalists are doing is the most important work being done
on the planet."
David Suzuki

"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a
comfortable living from a small piece of land."
Abraham Lincoln

"Clever men solve problems, wise men avoid them."
  Albert Einstein

Listen up !  http://www.democracynow.org/