[permaculture] Bateson quote

John Schinnerer john at eco-living.net
Fri Jan 17 02:14:05 EST 2003

Hey Claude,

> John, would you please resend me that quote about holding opposite
> pov's simultaneously please?

I was paraphrasing Gregory Bateson - something like (not an exact quote):

"...the trick is to hold both, together and separately, at the same time"

...and of course there are most often more than two stories ('ideas') to
hold together and separate at once.  We are mostly taught polar
oppositions, though ("you're either with us or against us", that sort of
nonsense).

Another Bateson quote that applies directly to PC designing and is also
observable in 'good' PC designing and in 'natural' systems:

"Always act so as to increase the number of choices."

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration