[permaculture] Manure answers
genest at together.net
Wed Jan 15 15:43:12 EST 2003
Advantages of anaerobic lagoons:
* Manure can be handled hydraulically with flushing systems, sewer
lines, pumps and irrigation systems.
* The high degree of stabilization reduces odors during land
* High nitrogen (N) reduction minimizes the land area required to make
use of the effluent.
* Long-term storage is provided at low cost.
Disadvantages of anaerobic lagoons:
* Public perception may be that a lagoon is an "open container of
* Undesirable odors may be produced during seasonal (spring and fall)
changes due to "turnover" and spring start-up after the winter period
of relatively little biological activity. Initial start-up in late
spring or early summer is preferred.
* Undesirable odors may drift off premises during atmospheric
* Undesirable odors may be present during land application by spray
* Nutrient availability is limited if manure is used as a fertilizer
(due to denitrification of N in the lagoon and most phosphorous (P)
settles to the bottom).
* Potential cost of removing built-up solids if the lagoon is to be
closed down and solids have been allowed to accumulate for several
years without agitation during the annual pump-down. Also, the land
area required to dispose of accumulated N and especially P may not be
Claude William Genest
Green Mountain Permaculture: Solutions, Sustenance, Sustainability
"What Permaculturalists are doing is the most important work being done
on the planet."
"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a
comfortable living from a small piece of land."
"Clever men solve problems, wise men avoid them."
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 2308 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/permaculture/attachments/20030115/c18901b0/attachment.bin
More information about the permaculture