[permaculture] [Fwd: Re: nitrogen fixing bacteria / soil tea] - of interest to those developing permaculture plant nurseries

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Tue Jan 14 15:05:36 EST 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: nitrogen fixing bacteria / soil tea
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:17:10 -0600
From: Steve Diver <steved at NCATARK.UARK.EDU>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

<....>

Rhizobium is the legume inoculant.  It works well
by putting it in touch with the legume seed, and
then the bacteria and plant roots develop symbiotically.

<.....>

Here's an excerpt from my paper on nitrogen-fixing trees
you may find interesting:

"There are two broad groups of nitrogen-fixing trees and shrubs:
Rhizobia-nodulated plants in the legume family (Leguminosae)
and Frankia-nodulated plants in the birch (Betulaceae), oleaster
(Eleagnaceae), buckthorn (Rhamnaceae), and casuarina
(Casurinaceae) families."

"Frankia is a unique genus of nitrogen-fixing (bacteria) in the
actinomycetes subgroup, and the symbiotic association these
actinomycetes form with trees is known as actinorhizal.
Examples of actinorhizal trees and shrubs adapted to the
temperate U.S. include alder (Alnus), autumn-olive (Eleagnus),
Russian-olive (Eleagnus), buffalo berry (Sheperdia), sea
buckthorn (Hippophae), goumi (Eleagnus), and Jersey-tea
(Ceanothus).  The best known actinorhizal association is
Alnus-Frankia.  Alnus, or the alders, is a genus comprised
of about eight tree species and one shrub in the United States."

(Bacteria) is in parenthesis because actinomycetes were
once classified as fungi, but I think they are now classifed
as bacteria.

Steve Diver