[permaculture] Help Chiken pen design

antonio.scotti antonio.scotti at wanadoo.es
Mon Jan 13 18:41:17 EST 2003

> antonio.scotti wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I need to design and implement a chicken pen for a permaculture design I am taking
> > care of. Of course I have never dealt with chickens and even less with  chicken pens, so
> > I would basically avoid reinventing the wheel.
> > Does anyone know/have suggestions for a chicken pen design for temperate/worm
> > climate, or any shared design already existing out there?
> > It would be nice to see a design of a pen with attached greenhouse.
> > Cheers
> > Antonio
>

> Start with a concrete slab with a good drain in the middle. Lay one course of
> concrete block, with opening for door. Build wooden building on the block wall.
> Attach greenhouse to building on its south side.
Why do I need to have a concrete floor? Isn't bare earth enough? Or is there an issue of keeping the
poultry out of mud when it rains?

On the other hand, how big must the pen be? eg how much space is necessary for each
chicken? Is there any dependence on the species?
If I understand it well, there must be two environments, a shelter and some open space right?
how big is the shelter and how big the open space?
How can I get the eggs without entering the pen all the times?

> What part of Spain do you live in?
Wow!, where did I mention that I live in Spain? ... Anyway I live in Barcelona,
not quite the land of Flamenco though.
Thanks and all the best
Antonio