[permaculture] Re: Alternative Food System Description

Kathy Carter-White kathycarterwhite at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 24 17:00:11 EST 2003

We designed it all in group.  First, over the internet with months of
talk about the details.  And, on the legal level, it is very
minimalistic, so as to save paperwork.  We even worked on ways to do
things with a goal to avoiding a lot of paperwork... such as no income
as the price we pay for the joy of no employee taxes and stufff.  The
producers take care of their own sales tax.  We are incorporated as an
Oklahoma Corporation ($25) but have not applied for 501(c)(3) or Coop
status with IRS... we are an unincorporated association for tax
purposes.  It is all flow-thru, except delivery surcharge, which is
actually less than actual cost so if the IRS were to characterize us as
tadable entity, then our  expenses would exceed payouts for travel, and
still no tax to anyone.  The thing you might consider is working at a
very collaborative level, because as soon as "ownership" is an issue,
the complexities begin.  It is the living machine part that makes it
possible this way.  Not to say that it might not be a valuable service
as a business... just that it would add a cost layer and some
bookkeepping.  k