[permaculture] acorns

Kathy Carter-White kathycarterwhite at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 24 16:28:54 EST 2003

Jamie-  feel free to use anything I post.  Info is below.
Kathy Carter-White, Tahlequah Oklahoma

ACORN FOOD INFO

Imogene Dawson in Indian Food for the Body Food for the Soul quotes
Michael Beaty "Oak trees are divided into two sub groups, the white oaks
and the red oaks.  Acorns from the white oak group are often referred to
as sweet and are edible without any processing.  The acorns of the red
oaks are quite bitter, and require processing as described below to
remove the tannic acid before use.  An easy way to tell the difference
without tasting the acorns is to look at the leaves of the trees.  The
lobes on the leaves of the white oaks are rounded, while those on the
red oaks are pointed and have a fine bristle protuding from them."
"ACORNS____
Clean acorns.  Build a fire under a big iron Kettle.  Put 2 gallons of
sifted ashes in the kettle with 4 gallons of cold water.  Mix and add 2
gallons of cleaned acorns.  Stir while bringing mixture to a full boil
and continue until acorns are skinned.  Wash the acorns in many changes
of water until they're clean.  Soak in clean water over night.  Pour off
the water.  Place acorns on a framed screen to dry in the sun.        To
use as a cereal, grind some of the nuts in the mortar.  When grit is
about rice sized, cook as you would cook hot cereal.  This is also good
to eat with butter."

This Imogene Dawson book is good because it features traditional recipes
from many Southeastern and Oklahoma tribes.  It is self-published by
Holitopa, P.O. Box 12721, Oklahoma City, OK  73157-2721 and was
published 1992 ISBN 0-96335-330-6.  I think it is available from the
Cherokee Nation Gift Shop, which is probably on the partner links page
at www.cherokee.org