[permaculture] Poplar trees may be new draw for pig farms

Claude William Genest genest at pivot.net
Wed Dec 17 09:22:40 EST 2003

Poplars also a good species with which to do biotecture so that you
could weave/bind the branches of closely spaced poplar plantings to
make a virtually impenetrable ( and decorative) fence/fedge.

Also, though the poplars are being planted in a monocrop in this
application, nothing prevents the use of a diversity of species -
willow comes to mind  - and why not fruit/nut trees to provide a
further yield of livestock forage ? ( the sludge contaminated food
couldn't be worse than the garbage their being fed  - at worst it would
be compost material that could then be used as mulch  for the fedge...)

I understand the argument that providing a solution to this problem may
be tantamount to encouraging more of these awful practices, but that
doesn't change the fact that permaculture design can turn even this
magnitude of problem into a solution  - especially since this solution
deals with the larger issue of our need to reforest...

Claude

Claude