[permaculture] Large Scale Permaculture?

Kathy Carter-White kathycarterwhite at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 00:22:01 EST 2003

Larry & Daniel both...
Dan, your query ("What is the point?") is good food for thought.  Say,
just for instance, there were 700 acres of land which could not be
intensively farmed, but could be extensively farmed.  Say, it were
fenced (high-tensile electric) and had typical bottoms and  wooded
hills, even bluffs and a stream.  The key element is that it must be
very low inputs (labor AND money), and very sustainable so as to remain
productive for a thousand years.  Larry, your list is superb.  It goes
to the heart of sustainability as diverse, knowledge-rich, (and I can
see how it could be integrated).  I posed the question on SERA of
whether anyone might be interested in collaborating on a RAMP CSREES
(due out late December) project to explore large-scale permaculture as a
practical pest management "living lab".  The max is $600,000 or so, but
a shortcoming is that it is only for 4 or 5 years.   Steve Diver is
interested in an alternative pest management database online of  all
studies out there.  These could fit together as way to conform
comparative studies and get baseline yields in extensive farming.  The
landowner (a monastery, actually), Larry I think I mentioned, has just
applied for a SARE grant to zone the land into the terraces that were
apparently there before the turn of the century, and also zoned by soil
type, to study browse impact using hair sheep and determine carrying
capacity (ie for Ozarks region).  I'm sort of looking for collaborators
who might extend the scope of this project to something that CSREES
RAMP  would be interested in:
http://www.reeusda.gov/pestmgt/Ramp/ramp.htm

Does anyone have any pieces to this puzzle?  Is there a nonprofit or
university out there who might like to do the quantification and
writing, and maybe some cutting edge comparisons of productivity using
the best practice models that are known today?  Since the land is here
(and, by the way, I have not even discussed it with the monastery
yet...) it would involve stationing someone here in northeastern
Oklahoma.  Or maybe there is another 700 acres out there which  would be
a good candidate for the location...

Kathy, Tahlequah, Oklahoma