[permaculture] Large Scale Permaculture?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Mon Dec 8 02:46:07 EST 2003

Kathy Carter-White wrote:

> Hi all-  I just joined.  Is anyone doing large scale permaculture, ie
> 700 or more acres?  If so, I'd be interested in hearing a description of
> your operation.  Kathy in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

What budget is available for such a project & is it actually in the works?

A site plan for the whole 700 acres would be in order.

Are buffalo, bison, sheep, cattle, goats, chickens, turkeys or pigs to be raised?

Forest crops, timberland, muchrooms and fungi [medicinal and culinary] fruit and nut orchards?

Aquaculture, aquaponics, hydroponics waste management (constructed wetlands), compost making, compost tea making?

Greenhousing for seedlings and food production

habitat and plantings for wildlife
fencing to keep wildlife out and livestock in
housing, shops and barns

Plant nurseries for landscaping, farmscaping, fruit and nut orchard, native plant/wild/forest areas and permaculture?

Fiber crops (flax, cotton, hemp, kenaf)?

Grass, grain or bean crops for livestock feed?

Forage cropping for harvest or grazing (kudzu & other)?

Grain and bean crops for food, vegetables, fruits, orchards and integrated plantings?

Dairy: cow, sheep, goat (and processing building)
Kitchen with facility for canning, drying and freezing

Other considerations:
tractors and implements, hand tools
shop for maintenance & repair
metalworking, woodworking and welding shop
sawmill
habitat and plantings for wildlife
fencing to keep wildlife out and livestock in
housing, shops and barns

Media center (web development and inhouse-created educational resources) and library

Spiritual retreat and meditational area

Visior and ecotourism center

Facilities for apprentices

LL