[permaculture] Extremely fast growing paulownias

Michael Murphy michael at ctsl.com
Tue Dec 2 22:02:39 EST 2003

Hard to tell why he thinks there's no demand, so no one will grow them, when there's a big demand for the wood, which can be harvested as early as six years, and they are widely grown.  We interplanted 100 with chestnuts, about 2 miles back from the ocean 30 miles south of San Francisco.  Even on careful drip irrigaiton (they don't like getting their feet wet), about half died and none grew the advertised six feet or more a year.  They don't like wind, which we have in spades.  I wouldn't plant them again, except in a very warm, well-drained, wind-protected area.