[permaculture] FW: I.D. 4 me Please....

Mark Ludwig mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 31 16:08:55 EST 2002

At 05:13 PM 3/30/02 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Can someone tell me what this is ?  I coulda swore I sowed winter rye but am
>being told this may be crab grass ?  ( Either way, I'm amazed at how well it
>wintered - it's as green as it was in fall !)
>
>As this is covering about half my food forest ( had 56 holes dug today !)
>The important thing I want to know is: do I need to till it out and replace
>with clover/wildflowers - or can I work with it ?
Looks like rye to me, but my graphics board is pretty poor.  Crab grass is
a warm season annual so it's almost certainly not that.  Rye will be
growing tall and heading out this season, so you probably should till it
in.  If you wait a while you will get some weed suppression and some corse
high C material that should help with restoration by tieing up free N and
thereby suppressing weed growth.
Mark L