[permaculture] Re: The Power of Duck book, revisited

Steve Diver steved at ncatark.uark.edu
Tue Mar 26 23:38:43 EST 2002

Eh, Larry, did you read the post from yesterday?
The Duck book info is there on the web archive.

The Power of Duck: Integrated Rice & Duck Farming
CSF:
http://csf.colorado.edu/archive/2002/permaculture/msg00654.html
IBIBLIO:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture/2002-March/000415.html

It is a new book.  I believe it sets a new standard in organic farming
literature.  It presents an alternative farming system that is,
biologically,
quite complex... yet laid out in practical terminology with illustrations
and graphics and photos.

For one who likes to view the season in context of phenology,
I am particuarly impressed with crop calendars that show you
"what" the growing season looks like and "when" you perform
farmer activities such as undersowing your cover crop, "when"
you cultivate to control weeds, "when" you turn your ducks loose
to let them forage. The Power of Duck has these crop calendars,
and it sure is helpful to see the season unfolding so clearly.

Steve Diver