[permaculture] Managing Wild Grapes in Woodlands

bmn at iglou.com bmn at iglou.com
Fri Mar 22 08:45:56 EST 2002

"forester" may be the key word.  Forestry programs typically decry the
understory and see it as a hindrance to woodlot management.  On the other
hand, you are correct, grapevines are very important, and quite useful to
a landowner.

My favorite moment with a classicly trained forestry consultant came when
I was on an ECO walk on an area my agency was about to tear up for an
easement.  I noted the easement went right through the middle of a 48"
Tulip Poplar and a slightly smaller oak right next to it.  Since we were
walking on an old logging road, and to the right (opposite side) of the
road there was a stand of 15-20 year old trees, I requested the alignment
be changed to go to through the younger treed area and avoid the
bigger/older trees.  The consultant looked up and said, "Oh, no.  You
don't want to do that.  That tree (the Tulip Poplar) has a fault.  He
pointed to a cavity that had formed where the first branches were (some
12 meters up).  A branch had broken off the tree many years ago. The
branch that had fallen was approximately .75-1 m in diameter.  This tree
was quite large and had fantastic habitat.  I had to engage in a
discussion about how in our mind (the Environmental Team's) that was not
a fault but a HUGE additional value to that area.  If you think he was
surprised then, you should have heard the discussion about how we value
dead trees!!! <grin>

BTW, is there a url for the folks that gave your workshop?

one more BTW, in a good many areas, foresters also decry Spicebush
(Lindera benzoin).  To me this is a fantastic plant both for habitat,
mast, tea, and spice (the ripe berries dried, ground, & used for
allspice) as well as a great addition to pans of water on our radiators
during the winter.  enough of that...I've rambled too long...