[permaculture] Managing Wild Grapes in Woodlands

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Fri Mar 22 06:58:40 EST 2002

Friends -

I took part in a Plant Savers workshop in Virginia last spring. It
was  mentioned several times that a spring season obligation of the
natural forester is to cut down wild grape vines.

Well it's spring, but now I'm hearing that wild grapes are a primary
source of food for both birds and many mammals, including black
bears.(I'm on the Blue Ridge)

I'd appreciate any insights on this or suggested reading.  In our
area it is not uncommon to see several LARGE vines pulling at an oak
in the woods. (Wild grapes are listed as a noxious weed in many
states.)

Thanks

-Allan Balliett
Northern Virginia