[permaculture] casuarina/ironwood

Scott Hitchins ScottH at wcig.org.au
Wed Mar 13 17:38:29 EST 2002

I use a similar recipe for cucumbers, zucchini, roses etc.  I also add other silica-rich plants such as borage (nettles and horsetail are also supposed to be good).  Into the pot also goes chamomile (anti-fungal), seaweed or seaweed emulsion (for the mineral content) and onion, garlic and chilli to repel the sap-suckers and leaf chewers.  A splash of fish-waste emulsion, animal poo or 'blood and bone' round it off into a good all-round tonic that, when diluted as Robyn suggests, can be sprayed onto pretty much anything ( on a cloudy day or in the cool of the morning to avoid sunburning the leaves).

Scott Hitchins
scotth at wcig.org.au