[permaculture] casuarina/ironwood

Scott Hitchins ScottH at wcig.org.au
Wed Mar 13 17:02:23 EST 2002

Dry or green doesn't seem to matter, although I would suppose if they'd been decomposing for too long, they'd be losses back into the topsoil, which is fine if they are in the right place already.  The chemicals that casuarinas produce are a root-exudate:  I'm not aware of them being present in the 'leaves'. Of course, the silica would have to present in the subsoil already:  The casuarinas simply concentrate it somewhat and bring it back up to an accessible level.

Scott Hitchins
scotth at wcig.org.au