[permaculture] root filters

Ute Bohnsack sustag at eircom.net
Wed Mar 13 16:47:16 EST 2002

Hi Georg,
there is a lot of stuff on the net on this, e.g.

- http://www.re-natur.de/

- www.earthlife.org.za/ghouse/gfiles/water/euro-3.htm Water Issues & Problem:
RBTS Section 3 Design and Construction - Horizontal Flow Systems

- CONSTRUCTED SUBSURFACE FLOW WETLANDS FOR WASTEWATER TREATMENT, A Non-Thesis
Project Submitted to The Faculty of the School of Civil Engineering of Purdue
University by Bill Leady 1997
(http://ce.ecn.purdue.edu/~puenvhyd/w3-students/leadyms.html)

also check under keywords rootzone system, reedbed filter, constructed wetlands
(!)

Most often they are planted (in Europe anyway) with Phragmites, Typha, Iris.
Phragmites tends to form monodominant stands but some other plants may survive
on the edges.
Schoenoplectus is also used.
Mentha aquatica is said to be good at removing pathogens.
Also if you have a pond behind the system you can cultivate duckweed for
compost/mulch/chicken feed. It's good at taking up NH4 and ortho-phosphates.
I can recommend the book: Bahlo & Wach (1996) Naturnahe Abwasserreinigung, 137p,
Freiburg, Germany (Bahl & Wach design systems in Germany, Wach is based at the
Energie- und Umweltzentrum in Springe-Eldagsen near Hannover)
and also:
Arbeitsblatt ATV-A 262
Grundsätze für Bemessung, Bau und Betrieb von Pflanzenbeeten für
kommunales Abwasser bei Ausbaugrößen bis 1.000 Einwohnerwerte
Juli 1998, 10 Seiten, DIN A4
ISBN 3-927729-42-6
EUR 19,50

and "Infopaket 3 Pflanzenkläranlagen", an excellent compilation of pertinent
journal articles.

both from:
Deutsche Vereinigung für Wasserwirtschaft, Abwasser und Abfall
German Association for Water, Wastewater and Waste
Informationsstelle
Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Böhm
Theodor-Heuss-Allee 17
53773 Hennef
Tel. 02242-872-132
Fax 02242-872-184
mailto:boehm at atv.de
http://www.atv-dvwk.de

All the best.

Ute

georg parlow wrote:

> guten abend:
>
> a question regarding root filter water treatment systems:
> besides the usual reeds, what plants would you recommend
> - e,g, what plants are good at taking up what toxins or
> pathogens? (austia, elevation 700meters above sea level -
> freezing winters)
>
> thanks
> georg

Dipl.-Ing. TU Landschafts- und Freiraumplanung
Ute Bohnsack
Sailchearnach, Clogher, Kilfenora, Co. Clare, Ireland
mailto:sustag at eircom.net
Agri-Environmental Consultancy and Translation Services (English-German-English)
http://homepage.eircom.net/~merlyn/index.html
                ~~~~~~~~~
Seedsavers Resources http://homepage.eircom.net/~merlyn/seedsaving.html