[permaculture] propagating elderberries

Robert Waldrop rmwj at soonernet.com
Mon Mar 4 10:40:40 EST 2002

Help for Homeless Elderberries

Regarding elderberries, I am now happily in possession of several
hundred plants and roots, currently in boxes in potting soil all over
my house, which I am in the process of giving away.  At the link
referenced below, I found this language about propagating from
cuttings (a box of cuttings was also included):

Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 7 - 10cm with a heel, July/August in a
frame[78].

Cuttings of mature wood of the current season's growth, 15 - 20cm with
a heel, late autumn in aframe or a sheltered outdoor bed[78].

Can anyone help translate this for me?  Do you simply put the cuttings
in the soil and add water and compost?

Thanks for your help.  If anyone on this list is close to OKC, send me
private email, I have plenty of elderberries for you.

Robert Waldrop, OKlahoma city
"Those who shut their ears to the cry of the elderberries, will
themselves also have no jam nor wine."  Ancient Hobbit Proverb