[permaculture] Material for raised bed

Michael Murphy mmurphy at ctsl.com
Tue Jul 30 10:53:39 EDT 2002

May I suggest poured earth?  We are doing a house in poured earth with
18" walls, and will do our raised garden edges with 4" poured earth
walls.  Build a form that can be used over and over, put a strip of
Tyvek in the bottom and pour a slurry of local clay + gypsum or cement +
a waterproofer like Ramseal.  Our main form will be one segment of a
keyhole garden, so we sequentially pour several segments and then move
on to the next keyhole.  We are also building one form to pour straight
walls and one to do a generic S curve.  The labor is in the form, so you
want to think through how to build the smallest number of forms.
More info at:
http://www.michaelfrerking.com/pouredearth.htm
http://www.rammedearthworks.com/facts.html
http://www.ramseal.com/