[permaculture] gabions

FranksFarm at aol.com FranksFarm at aol.com
Wed Jul 31 08:42:39 EDT 2002

Good day all:)

    Interesting subject!
Here in south central Kentucky, USA there are plenty of hills and hollows
where drainage channels have been cut over many years.

Some are over 10' wide and 8' deep. Most of the time they hold little water,
but when we have heavy rainfall they drain a lot of water off those hills
quickly. Much of the water is dumped on pasture/forest at the foot of the
hills making some of the areas wetlands/boggy or puddled.

I know that brush, gabions can slow water but I'm not sure if drainages are
in the right places a la the Yeoman system. I'm also not sure that in
tampering with the existing channels might not cause the formation of other
channels; deepen and widen existing channels or what.

Sure like to have some expert advice on this. Look forward to your comments.

All the best.  Frank