[permaculture] Material for raised bed

Santoyo & Associates santoyo at earthflow.com
Tue Jul 30 14:17:28 EDT 2002

Robert Waldrop,

Cob is great for a lot of things, but not in a constantly wet
situation... The ovens that you have seen will erode over time (a
very long time). Ovens are not waterproofed, because they need to
breath, but are usually protected in storm events with a tarp or roof.

If you don't have cobble stones to build walls with, then check out
Nadir Kalili's site at <www.calearth.org>, for other ideas for
materials for freeform beds. He uses earth-filled bags (he does use a
little cement) to create some beautiful forms.

Larry Santoyo
San Luis Obispo, Ca.
www.earthflow.com